Serving Real Estate in Austin Metro area and Central Texas. Contact Betty: (512) 785-5050 | Connect with Betty:      

Tarrytown 78703

Tarrytown is an immensely popular neighborhood in Austin, Texas just west of downtown Austin and north of Ladybird Lake. While there are still many classic historic Texas homes in the neighborhood, the smaller, older homes are being torn down to build bigger and more modern housees in this affluent Central Austin neighborhood. Children in Tarrytown attend the coveted Casis Elementary or a private school of their choice.

While Tarrytown was originally established as an official subdivision in 1915, European settlers have been living in the Tarrytown area since the mid 1800’s.  Peter C. Taylor built a massive rock and mortar building called the Lime Kiln in 1871. The lime made there was used to construct many of the local buildings from that time period. You can still see the remains of that kiln in Reed Park.

Tarrytown’s amazing location within a few miles of both the financial opportunities of downtown Austin and the exciting recreational opportunities of Lake Austin, Lady Bird Lake, Mount Bonnell, golf, hiking, biking, swimming, and tennis has made the neighborhood popular among Austin’s most affluent residents. Potential home buyers will find a wide variety of homes ranging from small restored cottages, to expanded mid-century homes, to modern sprawling estates. There is even a rare Medieval revival home.

Perhaps the most peaceful place in Tarrytown is the Mayfield Park and Nature Preserve. In 1909, Allison Mayfield, Chairman of the Railroad Commission and former Texas Secretary of State, purchased a wooden cottage with two traditional gables and its surrounding 23 acres as a summer home for his family. His only child, Mary, married Milton Gutsch in 1918. They moved into the cottage in 1922 and added three large porches, extensive gardens, stone walls, ponds, and other features. Two peacocks were given to the Mayfields in 1935. Those peacocks bred and their descendants can still be found on the property today. In 1971, Mary Mayfield Gutsch died and bequeathed the property to the City of Austin for the creation of a park. Today Mayfield Park is a beautiful 22-acre refuge that features beautiful gardens, koi ponds, free-ranging peacocks, and other wildlife like deer.